A unique opportunity to join AWS as a Data Centre Technician. You will become the primary resolver for your support team, and gain troubleshooting skills on one or more operating systems. You will be able to troubleshoot and solve all but the most complex infrastructure issues. Issues are escalated to the appropriate resolver groups when necessary. You create and maintain documentation on technologies you support and are able to convey Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) to junior staff. You understand all aspects of the equipment you support. You know how to innovate and make decisions on his/her own, but also know how to take direction when it is given, paying attention to all details involved.
You are able to execute small projects on your own and work with your manager in planning and executing larger local projects. You act as an escalation point for junior technicians. You understand all aspects of the equipment you support.
24/7 shift coverage is required and may include 12 hour shifts, rotating shifts, 3, 4, or 5 day work weeks, and may change based on the needs of the business. Travel may be required up to 10% of the time.
– Troubleshooting of facility and rack-level events within internal Service-Level Agreements (SLAs)
– Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures
– Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to while performing work
– Respond to off hour emergency calls per on call rotation for any one of the region’s sites
– Fully comply with all physical security procedures and policies
Key job responsibilities
Maintain a high level of system reliability by prioritising and resolving trouble tickets efficiently
Escalation point and technical troubleshooter for all Systems and problems
Deep diving into Linux server issues
XEN service virtualization troubleshooting
Troubleshoot technical issues on various platforms ranging from Systems through to Power/Mechanical
Remediation of physical layer outages, both Systems & Network
Remediation or recovery of physical power issues on racks
Participate in Data Center power & cooling events
Meet 24×7 On-Call requirements and response during shift rotations.
Install & configure racks of hosts in line with internal SLAs
Triage & resolve trouble tickets for all devices in your region
Data Center point of contact for all High Severity issues
Physical replacement of server and network device parts
Ensure correct rotation of parts & spares
Help define metrics to increase our customer uptime
Enforcing Amazons Security Best Practices
Interact with third party vendors & contractors
Contribute ideas to improve operational efficiency
Participate in and deliver on a number of high impact small to mid-scale projects
Participate in team meetings for metric analysis and project status updates
Help build the world’s largest Cloud infrastructure
Share knowledge and help educate less technical staff on the best practices related to all service owner issues
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
London, GBR | Thames Valley, POST-BER, GBR
– Commutable to the Thames Valley Region
– Data Centres are 24/7 environments. All interested candidates must be willing to work rotating shifts (day/night) as well as weekends. Data Centre Technicians are also required to wear a pager for communication, information, emergency, and on-call situations.
– Bending, lifting, stretching, and reaching
– Standing and walking for up to 8+ hours a day
– Ascending and descending ladders, stairs, and gangways safely and without limitation
– Work in a noisy environment
– Computer Hardware experience
– Computer Networking experience
– Associate’s degree or higher in IT-related field applicable certifications or/and equivalent professional or military experience
– Networking experience with CCNA and/or Network+ certifications
– Experience with CISCO, Juniper and other commodity networking devices
– Previous experience working in a Data Centre environment (racking & stacking gear, cable management, hot & cold aisle containment)
– Networking Protocols (OSI Model)
– Copper/Fibre Optic Testing/Cabling Standards
– All candidates must possess a valid driver’s license, their own vehicle, and will need to pass a driving record check to operate company vehicles. Travel between sites/locations during the workday may occur
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT – 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).