Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), also known as Doctors Without Borders, is a renowned international humanitarian organization that provides medical care and assistance to people in need, regardless of their race, religion, or political affiliation. Founded in 1971 by a group of French doctors and journalists, MSF has since become a symbol of impartial and independent humanitarian action.
Key aspects of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) include:
1. **Mission and Principles:** MSF’s primary mission is to provide medical care to those affected by disasters, conflict, and epidemics, with a strong emphasis on populations who would otherwise have limited access to healthcare. Their actions are guided by principles of neutrality, impartiality, and independence. They work in crisis zones worldwide, often in dangerous and challenging environments.
2. **Neutrality:** MSF is neutral in conflicts, meaning they do not take sides and provide medical care to all individuals in need, regardless of their affiliation. This neutrality helps maintain access to vulnerable populations and fosters trust among conflicting parties.
3. **Impartiality:** MSF provides medical care based on the needs of patients, not their background or status. They prioritize assistance to those who require urgent medical attention the most, regardless of factors such as nationality, race, religion, or political beliefs.
4. **Independence:** MSF is financially independent and relies on private donations to fund their operations. This independence allows them to make decisions without being influenced by political or economic interests, ensuring the integrity of their humanitarian actions.
5. **Emergency Response:** MSF specializes in rapid response to emergencies, including natural disasters, armed conflicts, and disease outbreaks. They deploy medical teams, including doctors, nurses, and logisticians, to provide medical care and essential services.
6. **Medical Expertise:** MSF’s medical staff are highly trained and experienced in various fields, including surgery, infectious diseases, pediatrics, and mental health. They often work in challenging conditions, such as conflict zones or areas with limited infrastructure, to save lives and alleviate suffering.
7. **Advocacy and Witness:** In addition to their direct medical work, MSF plays a crucial role in advocating for the rights of vulnerable populations and bearing witness to the suffering they encounter. They raise awareness about the humanitarian crises they witness and push for policy changes to address the root causes.
8. **Research and Innovation:** MSF is committed to improving the quality of care they provide. They conduct research to develop innovative medical approaches and treatments, particularly in areas where few resources are available.
9. **Global Presence:** MSF operates in over 70 countries worldwide, with a network of field projects and offices. This extensive reach allows them to respond quickly to emergencies and provide ongoing medical assistance to communities in need.
Médecins Sans Frontières has earned widespread recognition for its commitment to delivering medical aid to those most in need, often in the most challenging and dangerous environments. Their work is a testament to the dedication of medical professionals and humanitarian workers who strive to alleviate human suffering and uphold the principles of humanity, impartiality, and neutrality.
Watsan Technician at Médecins Sans Frontières October, 2023
Médecins Sans Frontières
Direct Reports: WATSAN MANAGER
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. MSF is therefore guided by the principles of neutrality and impartiality. These principles must apply to all MSF staff.
Minimum Educational Qualification: Technical certification or proven background, desirable specialization in water and sanitation
Previous experience in technical works
Knowledge and skills
Basic plumbing skills, usage of tools. Basic calculation skills. Basic skills on stock management.
- Results and quality orientation.
- Teamwork and cooperation.
- Behavioural Flexibility.
- Commitment to MSF Principles.
- Stress Management.
English and Swahili (fluent, oral & written) required.
Supporting the Watsan Manager in the implementation, monitoring, maintaining, and trouble-shooting of Water Hygiene Sanitation activities and infrastructure in the project according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to improve health and living conditions of the target population
- Carrying out tasks directly related to the Watsan activities such as construction and maintenance of infrastructures in the project according to MSF protocols and standards concerning the operation of water supply, waste management and excreta disposal, hygiene and infection control.
- Ensuring the cleaning and maintenance of the Watsan structures and when applicable, of the medical facilities.
- Identifying, recruiting, training, and supervising daily labourers or hygiene agents for Watsan activities
- Informing the Watsan Manager of any difficulties, anomalies and problems that may affect the normal functioning of activities and tasks in his/her area of responsibility.
- Assisting the Watsan Manager in Watsan data collection and reporting, as well as maintaining updated files and records of assigned project activities
- Being responsible for equipment, tools, and consumables, verifying that they are safely used and maintained. Reporting to the supervisor any need of renewal and the weekly/monthly consumption
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
Carry out all water and sanitation related activities in MSF premises:
- Daily data collection and follow-up.
- Maintenance of water and wastewater network, drainages and grease traps.
- Cleaning of water tanks and reservoirs.
- Maintenance of water dispensers and WASH tools (water analysis tools, water pumps).
- Preparing and implementation of IRS.
- Waste management.
- Idientify WASH related needs and follow-up of items and stocks.
Implement and supervise WASH related activities in MoH supported facilities:
- Follow-up of water supply, data collection.
- Support MoH personel in water network and waste water network.maintenance.
- Follow-up on waste management quality through supervision and trainings.
- Participate in improving hygiene standards and IPC in close collaboration with MoH staff.
- Participate in improving linen and laundry management.
- Preparing and implementation of IRS.
Produce weekly and monthly reports of wash activities in supported premises and facilities, using data collected, according to given templates.
All interested candidates shall submit their motivation letter, CV and copy of relevant professional certificates not later than Friday, October 13th , 2023 at 4:00 PM. Please quote the job title on the email subject “WATSAN TECHNICIAN”.
Please send your application to the email address MSFCH-Tanzania-Recruitment@geneva.msf.org. The applications can also be submitted at MSF offices situated at Warioba RD, Mikocheni B, Plot 100, Daima Street House no 16, Dar Es-Salaam or To MSF Project Admin in Nduta Refugees Camp, Kibondo District, or MSF Office – Liwale
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- People living with disability and minorities are highly encouraged to apply.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your data only for the recruitment process to have all the information and documents necessary to proceed with the recruitment, validation of your application and selection of the most suitable candidate. Your data will be treated confidentially. Only people part of the recruitment process have access to your data. MSF does not sell your data under any circumstances. If you have any questions or requests, you can contact MSFCH-Tanzania-HrManager@geneva.msf.org